Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I'm Going to Kenya




Its official. I am going to Kenya this summer. It’s something that I have been in prayer for a while now, and now that it is actually happening I don’t even know what to think. I am excited, I am nervous, I am extremely pumped. This will be the first time I really go out of the country and over seas to a foreign land in which I have only dreamt about. The team that I get to go with seems amazing and one of the best things is Kristin Graham gets to come with me. We have talked about this and have talked about the possibilities of us going and serving together and how we think it would be a way for us to grow even closer together out in the mission field, serving God and others together. I know for a fact I will not be the same when I come back, I know going into this my heart will be broken in ways that I have never experienced before…despite all that, I am beyond excited, because I know it will be in the best way for me to understand God and his people in a place that I have no idea about.


If that was not exciting enough, the person who runs all of the missions at CCV approached me today and she asked me if I could be a co-leader on our mission trip. WOW. I really didn’t even know what to say. “Really? Me? I never been on a trip like this and you want me to lead?” is what I asked, and she said that I am already leader here at church and they can use my leadership skills to lead the team of 14 people in Kenya and they would send me through training in order to do so. Needless to say (but I am going to say it anyways) I am honored and so excited for the next process in the next few months. Kristin and I will be praying that God will prepare our hearts for what we are about to experience in August.


Now I am not exactly sure what the trip looks like yet, we have our first meeting this Sunday night. But going off of last year, it sounds like the first week we will be helping out and putting on a medical clinic in a village. 2 of those days we will be on Safari. I really can’t wait until people start to ask me what I will be doing and I will say, “I’ll be on safari.” When I think about that, I imagine myself in a picture with a shotgun, a straw hat, with my foot on a big boar, or maybe even a lion. I don’t know, I can dream.


I know the second part of the trip we will be putting on a Vacation Bible School for students there. We will be playing games, talking about Jesus and I will be leading a small group of Kenyan boys. Holy crap we are stoked. I know all of this will be happening in one of the biggest slums in Africa, which to be honest, I don’t even know how I am going to handle seeing what I am going to see.


If you can just be in prayer for Kristin and I for what we are going to have to do to be prepared for this trip. Also, we will need to be raising money for our trip. Its around $3,000. Yup. A lot. Please be in prayer for our money for this trip, and if you want to throw a couple of bucks my way, I know I would appreciate it.


You have no idea how excited/nervous/pumped/scared I am for this trip. I am just amazed that I will be able to get to be apart of this, not only that, but be able to lead it.


I love it. God is good.


Random Fact: Jasmine is the only Disney princess who is not the main character of her movie.

3 comments:

  1. Love it. Good news. Excited to hear what you have to say in your writing when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog,bt am from Kenya,am not bragging but you'll be quite surprised when you step foot at the airport,bigger than sum of Europe's airports,also am sorry to say you'l probably not even see a lion,av lived here all ma life(am 18),and av only seen one lion at a zoo or orphanage as we call it here,i gotta admit kibera is big,but has very friendly peeps..nway best of luck dear and you very welkam 2 Kenya, enjoy yo stay:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morkar! awesome! thank you so much for reading my blog. that is exciting! i have heard that about the airport and i have seen pictures. and i am bummed about the lion, i am sorry for my ignorance, but when i think of Africa i think lion automatically, either way i am excited to go on safari. it will be my first. i have heard that the people are super friendly, one of my friends went last year and she said it was amazing. i am truly honored and excited to go and check it out with my own eyes.

    thank you for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete