Monday, January 3, 2011

Today is...Bleh

I don’t really know what it is about today, but I am just not motivated. I don’t know if it’s a combination of the weather and it being Monday and getting back into the grind of things or what? But I just know I do not like it.


I started off this morning running late because for whatever reasons all of the iPhone 4’s in the world alarm clocks decided not to work in 2011 so far. So I woke up late and in a hurry as I brushed my teeth in my underwear as I tried to put on deodorant at the same time as trying to put on a shirt. I bet I looked ridiculous. I got to work and we had a quiet time, like we do every Monday when we get into the office. I usually look forward to them, it s a great way to start off the week with my team here, but today I was distracted and couldn’t focus. I don’t feel like doing anything. I want to go back into my bed and watch the huge numbers of movies and TV shows that I have on Netflix (which is the best invention ever if I were to choose one).


Even things that I usually enjoy, such as food (Subway for lunch, yum) and watching Modern Family on the lunch break with everyone, didn’t snap out of this weird mood I am in today. I feel like I just want to be Jabba the Hut from Star Wars (yes, I just made a Star Wars reference) and just be fat and lay on the couch and eat 21 Choices chocolate and Kit-Kat mixed frozen yogurt. Don’t judge me, that’s just want I want to do.


But, and there always is a “but”, and I love how God does this sometimes when you need it, I read this:

"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men."
Colossians 3:23


I, in fact, think I have one of the best jobs. I love it. The other day I went to lunch with Matt Ferrer, a dude who is in my small group, a guy that I work with here at CCV, and just a great man of God in general, and we were talking about how lucky we are that we have the jobs we do. Where else can we do what we love, serve God, and we are able to make a living off of it. It’s truly a blessing. We were talking that I am a pastor, but if we want to get technical, I also am a professional filmmaker because I get paid and I make videos for Wednesday nights. Stretching a little bit? Ya, sure, but I am just saying.


I read that verse from Colossians 3 and I just felt motivated again and reminded me of that conversation I had with Matt. Even as I am sitting here, not feeling motivated today, what I am doing; I need to “work heartily” for the Lord and not for man. I am working for Him, not for others. Ultimately, no one else matters, I am serving God, in a great place, a great church, with a great team, with an amazing volunteer staff, and with some awesome students…and its all for Him.


Pretty uplifting, and its amazing that I read that at the exact time I needed to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment