Saturday, February 12, 2011

Name Droppers, Please Stop, We Get It

Do you know any name droppers? People who randomly throw in a name of a person who they think is important to impress you in the middle of conversation? For example, "So the other day I was hanging out with Kobe Bryant, oh ya we are like super close and we hang out once in a while (more like just once, just saying), anyways we blah blah blah and then Justin Beiber came over. What?!? You don't know him?! Dang, he is great, you should know him like I do." A bit exaggerated, yes, but you get the point? Most of the time it's usually someone you do not even really care about, but they do it anyways.

I have done it too I admit it. But some people do it more than others. I was thinking, why do we do this? It's because we are trying to impress people by who we know. Thinking that if we are associated with these people, others will think we are important too. It's self glorification.

I was reading in Matthew 3 and John the Baptist does some name dropping himself. But he was doing the right kind of name dropping, the type of name dropping we all should be doing, the type that does not lift us up into glory, but to lift Jesus up.

It says "The prophet Isaiah was speaking about John when he said, “He is a voice shouting in the wilderness, ‘Prepare the way for the Lord’s coming! Clear the road for him!’”

John is announcing to all that Jesus is coming and will be greater than he will ever be. It says that people went out into the wilderness in huge crowds to listen to John. But as soon as Jesus came on the scene, he wanted all attention on Jesus, not him. He name dropped the most important name, not to make himself look better but to make Jesus known.

I know I still need to work on this, but I do know others REALLY need to work on it. How important is name dropping to make yourself look better really? Makes us look like a tool.

Let's lift up His name not ours.

1 comment:

  1. Exactly! Me and boy Lecrae were just discussing this last week with Mary Mary and Kirk over a cup of steaming hot joe--Haaha Just kiddin! No, but seriously you hit the hammer on the nail with this one. God bless!

    "But those who wish to boast should boast in this alone:that they truly know me and understand that I am the Lord who demonstrates unfailing loveand who brings justice and righteousness to the earth,and that I delight in these things.I, the Lord, have spoken!"

    ~Jeremiah 9:24

    ReplyDelete