Monday, February 28, 2011

Are You Worthy?

This morning while reading my quiet time I was reading Matthew 10. For whatever reason verses 37-39 really stuck out to me. Here is what it says:


37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.”


This got me thinking about how I am a family man, a huge family person. I love being around my family, it fills me up on the inside. I would literally do anything for anyone in my family, doesn’t matter what, I would do it to help them. I am super close with my dad, my mom, my brother and his wife, my sister and Kristin and they know that I would give up my arm for them if it means I got to help them out in anyway.

Reading Matthew 10 makes me ask the question, “Do I love Jesus like this?” do I have a relationship with Him in a way that I would drop anything at the drop of a hat to serve Him in a way that I would my family?According to these verses, if I would love my family in that way and I don’t love God in the same way, then I am not worthy. Now we are all unworthy, that’s why Jesus died and rose again for our sins, but it just got me thinking.


I feel called to do His ministry and he is talking to His disciples about going out to show God’s love, but do I have the closeness in my relationship with Jesus that is greater than the love I have for my family?


Whatever the answer is I can only pray and hope that I am striving to have a relationship in a way that has a greater love for Jesus. I hope that I continue to strive for that closeness to Jesus like I feel for my family. I want to be worthy.


The question is, do you feel the same way? Do you strive for the closeness to Jesus that is greater than the closeness of the people you love in your life? It’s a fair question. I am afraid of my answer, because I know I would do anything at anytime for my family, but I am scared to think what my answer would be if I felt God was calling me to do something that was very difficult. Would I have that same attitude with God that I have with my family?

Do you?

1 comment:

  1. WOW Justin! That is so true! It is hard to accept what God might be calling us to do if it is not what WE WANT. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete