Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It Wont Cost?...Awesome

today we had a staff meeting. Jeff Vines shared with us 2 Samuel 24:24.

2 Samuel 24:24
24 But the king replied to Araunah, "No, I insist on paying you for it. I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing."
So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen and paid fifty shekels a]">[a] of silver for them.

We talked about how David did not want to give up an offering to God if he did not have to pay for it, if he didn't not have to sacrifice something to give it to God. As of most of us, we would get something great for free and we would think that giving that to God would be ideal because 1) it is a great thing and God would love it, it is worthy of God and 2) we didn't have to pay anything for it. FREAKIN' BOMB right? that's not the case for David.

the reason we do not do this is because the things that we do have distract us from fully worshipping God for who He really is. we might do a great job in many things for the Lord, but there always is something that is distracting us from wanting to truly give God our full attention that He deserves. We were asked to write down what we think our own big distraction is and i wanted to share what i wrote down.

God
what is my distraction? what is the biggest thing in my life that is holding me back from doing all the things in life for You? what is holding me back? there are so many things that one doesn't even stand out to me. is it watching too much TV? is it money? is it my job? do i think that because my job is ministry and because hundreds of students come on Wednesday nights that those who do not attend, out in the city, don't matter? is it my attitude or motivation? does my personality and comfort zone need to be stretched more so that I actually go out and talk to people i don't know who i feel You have prompted me to talk to?
God, make me this way.

i think we don't ask these questions all the time because we are afraid God is going to answer them and then tell us we need to actually do these things and then we have to change things that bring us comfort in the life we know now. but i think questions like these will help mold us into the man or woman of Christ God wants us to be.

Random Fact:
Farmville is a real place.

Farmville, Virginia had a population of 6,845 as of the 2000 Census and is located between Richmond and Lynchburg. It has no known relation to the popular Facebook application, however!

No comments:

Post a Comment