Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Assumptions

something that i have been doing a lot lately is making assumptions. if you really think about it you make assumptions hundreds of times a day. you assume that when you fall asleep, you will wake up in the morning. that when you are driving, you are going to arrive at the destination safely. you assume that every time you hick-up your going to fart... what is that just me? (that has happened before and its quite embarrassing, so that's why i always assume it now... just saying). but as much as we make these assumptions, some of them can be destructive.

for instance:
  • The other day i assumed Kristin's (my beautiful girlfriend) feelings and it was a mistake, and caused a fight.
  • i assumed that one of my class mates actions would go a certain way, and it might have damaged our relationship
but i would have to say the most damaging assumption i have ever made is to assume that i understand God and His ways.

sometimes i actually catch myself assuming that i know what God should be doing in any given situation. and when God does not act in a way that i thought He was going to act i often gets me super frustrated. and angry and leads me to question God.

My assumptions of God almost always leads me to trying to control and manipulate things i shouldn't be controlling and manipulating.

I have come to the conclusion that control is formed in our lives when we assume God must think and feel as we do. and i think that's the most destructive assumption we can make.

Random Fact: Contrary to popular belief, swallowed chewing gum does NOT stay in your stomach. It gets excreted somewhat normally.



No comments:

Post a Comment