Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Is Christianity Hard or Easy?... Yes

I worked at Islands for 7 years. it was the easiest job at times. I worked a couple hours and would make great money. it was easy. other days, it was the hardest job cause you had to deal with difficult people. I remember going up to tables and taking there order and I would ask "would you like a white or a wheat bun?" and they would answer, "Yes." not paying attention. I would just laugh. this is how Jesus answers the question of "is Christianity hard or easy?" the answer is yes.

a lot of people think that being good is all that matters. if I'm more of a good person than a bad person, I'll be fine. you can be good, but you can only do so much good by yourself that you will start to notice that other people are not noticing your goodness and you will be bitter by the end.

Christianity is different. it's hard yet easy. Christ says give me all. I dont want a majority of your money, work, or time... I just want you. I dont want a few branches trimmed here and there, I want the whole tree down. I don't want your natural self... in fact, I'll give you a new self, I'll give you Myself.

Jesus is confusing sometimes. he says following Him is hard and is easy.

Matthew 16:24-25
"24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it."

Jesus is saying that following Him is following Him to the cross. to physically be there next to him carrying the cross and physically hanging next to Him on the cross. that's hard. I don't know if my faith is strong enough to do so, and that's what Jesus calls all people to do.

but then Jesus says it's easy.

in Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus says,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

He says just hand everything to Him. give Him everything, the sin, the struggle... to Him. and He will take care of it.

it's that easy.

what a balance. is Christianity hard or easy?

yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment